A transit visa to Japan is granted to applicants who are travelling to the 3rd country through Japan. Transit visa can have a single- or double-entry, where each entry cannot exceed 15 days.
Applicants travelling through Japan with an immediate flight connection do not have to apply for a transit visa if they are not going through the immigration clearance.
Required documents for a transit visa to Japan
- Completed visa to Japan application form. Refer to the Japanese visa application guide on how to complete the form in accordance with requirements of the Embassy of Japan.
- 1 recent passport-size colour photograph on a white background – can be arranged in our office.
- For Russian and CIS passport holders, 2 completed application forms and 2 photographs.
- Original passport with at least 6 months’ validity beyond the validity of the visa. You must have at least two empty pages in your passport for stamping the visa.
- Copy of a Residence permit for non-Singaporean passport holders (EP, PR, DP, S-Pass). PR holders must also present a Re-entry Permit. If you are a holder of a new type of long-term employment pass which shows a QR code instead of an expiry date you must provide a printout of the expiry status. You can get it via the Ministry of Manpower’s free SGWorkPass app (available on App Store and Google Play). This printout must show the current date and confirm that the work pass is valid.
- A supporting letter from the applicant’s employer or school/university (for students) in Singapore. Refer to the example of a school/company letter.
- For applicants travelling to Japan for non-official purposes (tourism), a bank statement showing the transactions for the last month. The minimum amount required for a visa application is 3,000 SGD.
- Copy of an inbound and outbound tickets to/from Japan (that include the the airline 6-letter booking reference) showing that the applicant is departing from and terminating in Singapore. If you are applying for a double-entry visa, you will need to submit a copy of the flight itinerary showing 2 round trips to Japan within the next 6 months.
- Visa confirmation to the 3rd country of to the final destination (if applicable).
- Authorisation letter.
- Completed and signed Global Singapore visa order form.
If an applicant has a financial sponsor who is responsible for their stay in Japan, the following documents have to be submitted:
- Letter of sponsorship.
- Proof of relationship (marriage/birth certificate).
- Other requirements of sponsor (a sponsor should submit a copy of the last month’s bank statement, copy of their passport and a residence card).
* Should you require to print any of the required documents in our office, please note that an additional charge will be applied.
Fees for a transit visa to Japan
* All fees and charges are subject to prevailing GST.
Normally, visa processing takes 5 working days after lodgement of the documents to the Consulate. However, in some cases where referral to the government office is required, the processing time can be extended up to 1 or 2 months. Therefore, we advise you to start planning your trip in advance.
Urgent or express service is not available with the Consulate of Japan.