Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the relationship between the duration of stay and period of validity of a visa?
Duration of stay refers to the longest period the visa holder is allowed to stay in China from the date of entry into China on each visit.
The holder of a visa is eligible to enter China at any time prior to the expiry of its period of validity (allowed to enter China even before the 24:00 hour of the last date of its period of validity) provided that the granted entries on the visa have not been used up. Duration of stay is no longer applicable once the period of validity expires.
2. Does the number of entries have anything to do with the period of validity of a visa?
The validity of a visa refers to a period starting from the date of issuance to the date of expiration. The holder of a visa is eligible to enter China at any time prior to the expiry of its period of validity (allowed to enter China even before the 24:00 hour of the last date of its period of validity) provided that the granted entries on the visa have not been used up.
3. Can I extend the duration of stay of my visa in China?
Some types of visas may be extended. You may apply for an extension of the duration of stay of your visa at a local public security authority at the county level and above before the expiration of your stay. Overstay will violate the law of China and will be punished.
4. What would be the best time for me to apply for a visa before my planned departure for China?
Global Singapore advises you to apply for a visa approximately 1 month in advance, but not earlier than 3 months. Usually, a visa is issued for a period of 3 months. For some types of Chinese visas, its validity is equal to or shorter than 1 month; in this case, it would be advisable to apply 2 weeks prior to your trip.
5. What should the minimum validity of my passport be to be able to apply for a visa to China?
Your passport should have at least 6 months left before it expires. If you want to apply for a multiple-entry visa valid for six-month or twelve-months, your passport should have 9 months or 15 months left respectively before it expires.
6. I have completed the application form online, but I do not have a printer, what shall do?
If you do not have a printer at home, please write down the applicant’s name, date of birth, and the serial number of your application form (under the dimensional bar-code located in the right top corner of the first page of the application form.), so that the form could be retrieved and printed out later.